Friday, November 11, 2011

ISO aka Film Speed :: Book Excerpt

ISO is the first and fundamental camera setting. Photographers all have there go to practices for starting out on a shoot. Mine however, is to first place judgment on my lighting conditions. By doing so I am able to determine this first camera setting of those I’ve mentioned on the previous page.

ISO’s are numbers listed as “stops” within your camera’s menu that tell it whether you’ll be shooting under bright light or low light conditions.
Below are examples of ISO settings. Following, you will see how I have adjusted my ISO according to what strength of light I was shooting under.

{Bright Available Light} 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2200 {Low Available Light}

All Images ©Vicky Scesa
ISO 400: I was using 1 strobe light and a gold reflector

All Images ©Vicky Scesa
ISO 800: I had Low Available Light

All Images ©Vicky Scesa
ISO 200: This was a very bright day with ALOT of Available Light

Please note that all camera settings may have different increments than I have described but these are the settings I recommend changing between, as these are whole stops, which will give you a visual difference in exposure between settings.

The problem with high ISO’s in most cameras is that when the number is increased the picture gets grainier. Now, in the digital age, this YUCK, for lack of a better word, is referred to as “digital noise” So, proceed with caution…

No comments:

Post a Comment