Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Capturing Fall Moments

I have been planning for weeks to take Safi to Bedner's Pumpkin Patch in Boynton Beach, FL.
One of my students filled me in on this once "best kept secret". Well, the secret is out!
I had never heard of this spot before probably because I was living out of the country the past couple Fall seasons and I didn't have a little one for whom I am constantly seeking out shooting spots these days.
This thriving family fun spot was SMOTHERED with Mamatographers! I was so busy with my cranky girl that there was no time to solicit photo lessons ; )


Here are some tips for shooting in a busy pumpkin patch:


1st, don't go at mid day! 
The best light is going to be early in the morning or late afternoon.
I like the technique of a soft gleaming sun coming through my lens so Safi's back was always to the sun.

With that said, I experimented with Flash for filling in shadows. This gave my shots a nice saturation in the sky, pumpkins & her shaw.
**Invest in an external flash, you won't be sorry you did**

As far as beating the crowds...we booked it to the back corner of the farm where they had laid out cucumber plants to serve as imitation vines for the pumpkins. (It's very unlikely to find naturally growing pumpkins in South Florida). I tried to be mindful of my background and avoid capturing other patrons or farm workers in the frame. This gave my shots a feel of peaceful isolation so that the focus was ONLY on Safi.

I brought my Mom with me to help with Safi. Of course she wanted to eat dirt and gnaw on the bright orange pumpkins so it helped to have Grandma as a "Baby Stylist".


Here's some varied lighting examples...


Without Flash~

With Flash~


Happy Fall Shooting!
xo, Vicky & Safi

No comments:

Post a Comment